01/09/2014

Decluttering for the maximalist

I admit it: I love things. I think things can be beautiful, meaningful and useful. Having a home that is bare and minimalist is not for me, it just seems too cold. I think many of us feels this way: Cushions, blankets, candles and pictures add warmth and cosiness to our homes.

However - I really dislike dusting, I'm trying to own fewer things, and I have a kid who does not necessarily respect the things that I like so much. So, some middle ground has to be found here.

I have so far come up with these guidelines to keep the maximalist in me in check:

1. Only keep things that are beautiful, meaningful and/or useful. Be honest with yourself. Is this vase/picture/bowl/candle really enhancing your home? If not, it's probably better off at the charity shop or fleamarket, instead of being yet another item for you to dust and organise.

2. Group items together, to leave some spaces bare. Having assigned spaces for these little tableaux, makes it easier to avoid clutter creeping into every surface.

3. Identify the colours/materials you like the most, and try to stick to them. This will make it easier to decorate, and will make your place look slightly less "busy", even though you have more things than the average minimalist.

For me, this means having a lot of Little A's artwork on display, along with some photos (there will be more when I get my photos organised) and some decorative items (vases and bowls, mostly) that I think are especially beautiful. Natural elements (stones and wood), yellow, orange, light pink and light green are also found throughout my home. Trying to find the sweet spot where minimalism meets maximalism is a work in progress for me, but the pictures show where I'm at right now decluttering/rethinking the decor of my living room.

What about you - are you also drawn between minimalism and maximalism? Or perhaps you have other ideas for balancing the two? I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a thoughtful essay Ane! I so agree. I actually struggle with the word "minimalist" and find it to be very misunderstood and misleading. I prefer the term "Simplify" actually. Beauty in my surroundings is very important to me - especially nice when useful things are also beautiful. I try to have just one focal point in each room now - perhaps a painting or picture, a few objects, and plant or flowers - and you are right it really helps with decor decisions. I would not be happy without beauty in my home. I am seeking the "enough" spot for me - I think that is my "middle ground". It's a process but a very satisfying one that has caused me to rethink many other areas of my life as well. I'm about to retire and have downsized quite a bit now that it's just me at the moment. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Lynn. Simple living or slow living are much more meaningful terms, as they can't be misunderstood as easily. These terms tell us something about the wish to get back to basics, whether it is cooking from scratch, unplugging or shopping less clothes.

    I like what you say about having beauty in your home. If something is both useful and beautiful, that's certainly the best! I used to have a lot of really pretty porcelain cups stored away in my cupboard, waiting for "a special occasion". Now, I've got rid of the boring everyday cups, and drink from the special occasion cups everyday - what a pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete